This all began on tumblr. I was looking for some posts about a specific book series, only to realize that no one else seems to be talking about it. So, I decided that if that fandom doesn’t exist, I will create it myself.
Thats when this slideshow was born. I posted it to tumblr, and just prayed that people would see how great these books are and join the fandom with me.
I’ve included the slideshow down below, but I’ll go into more detail after on why these books were chosen, as well as mention a few other books that deserve more hype.
Read more for even more book recommendations, plus a transcript of the slideshow!
[ Related: The Queen’s Assassin (The Queen’s Secret #1) by Melissa de la Cruz – My Expectations Were Way Too High (ARC Review) ]
Books Mentioned in the Slideshow:
- Ruined (Ruined #1) by Amy Tintera – [ Review ]
Avenged (Ruined #2) by Amy Tintera
Allied (Ruined #3) by Amy Tintera – [ Review ]
- Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves #1) by Mary E. Pearson – [ Review ]
Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves #2) by Mary E. Pearson
- Rosemarked (Rosemarked #1) by Livia Blackburne – [ Review ]
Umbertouched (Rosemarked #2) by Livia Blackburne [ Review ]
- The Last Namsara (Iskari #1) by Kristen Ciccarelli – [ Review ]
The Caged Queen (Iskari #2) by Kristen Ciccarelli – [ Review ]
The Sky Weaver (Iskari #3) by Kristen Ciccarelli – [ Review ]
Quick- Bonus Recs!
As if those 10 books weren’t enough, I want to throw in a few extras:
The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen #1) by Jodi Meadows
A duology folowing a princess of a conquered kingdom who has infiltrated the enemy palace as a spy. There’s forbidden magic, a masked vigilante love interest, and a character who truly is chaotic good/neutral (but he doesn’t play a big part until the sequel). Also, if you can’t tell from the description, if you like Ruined, you’ll like this.
The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn #1) by Renee Ahdieh [ Review ]
Renee Ahdieh isn’t an underrated author anymore, but people are still sleeping on this book. This book is a retelling of One Thousand and One Nights, where every day the Caliph forces a new girl to marry him, then has her killed the next morning. After Shahrzad’s best friend is killed, she volunteers to be his next wife and get vengeance.
The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire #1) by C. J. Redwine [ Review ]
Listen, this series is amazing. I may have to do one of these posts just focusing on retellings so I can talk about this series even more. Each book is a different fantasy retelling in the same universe. This first book is a Snow White and the Huntsman retelling, except our Snow White character has magic, and our huntsman is a prince who is also a dragon sometimes. You need to read it.
What is your favorite underrated book?
Follow Me: [Bookstagram] [Twitter] [Tumblr] [Goodreads]
Transcript of Slideshow:
Underrated YA Fantasy BookS/series EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ!
or else i’ll die please read these books
Slide 2: Ruined by Amy Tintera
[ Ruined Review]
[ Allied Review ]
- daughter of a Queen infiltrates enemy palace to avenge the death of her parents, help her conquered kingdom, and save her kidnapped sister. Quite a to do list
- the prince is supposed to marry a foreign princess he’s never met, so of course he doesn’t suspect that an enemy took her place.
- political intrigue
- the prince is Too Good and I love him
- LGBTQ+ side characters (with POVs)(especially in later books)
- main characters dont have magic but side characters do
- fast paced, deception, betrayal
- 1st book is a little tropey but not in a bad way. It also gets less and less tropey as the series goes on
- the whole trilogy is complete! (Avenged and Allied)
- TW: Violence, Death, War Themes, Torture (Mention) , Murder
Slide 3: Dance of Thieves by Mary E. Pearson
- spin off of The Remnant Chronicles (but you don’t need to read them to read this series- although they’re also really good)
- Betrayal and secrets and loyalty and all the angst
- male protagonist is the new head of his outlaw clan, whose lands aren’t “officially” recognized as a kingdom but his family has a tight hold on them. He will protect his family no matter what the cost
- female protagonist ex-thief, now a member of the Queen’s elite military guard, sent to find a war criminal who may be under the protection of the other main character
- I read this book in like a day seriously it’s that good
- Enemies-to-lovers, literally chained together & deciding to “make the best of it”
- ghosts, political intrigue, and plenty of twists and turns
- female friendships!
- Dual POV
- More romance-focused but with plenty of action & adventure
- Strong female characters!!!!
- Part one in a duology!!! And the sequel- Vow of Thieves– is already out so you can binge read!
- I’ve reread this series 3 separate times in 3 months because I’m that obsessed
- TW: Violence, Death, Assault, Torture, Rape Mention, Animal Death, War Themes, Murder, Illness, PTSD, Kidnapping/Abduction
Slide 4: The Iskari Series by Kristen Ciccarelli
- Each book can be read as a standalone!!
- beautiful writing, amazing world, and omg I’m in love with the mythology!!!
Book 1: The Last Namsara
- Forbidden romance
- Main character is the daughter of the king, given the title Iskari after the god of death, and blamed for a dragon destroying their city. Now she’s the kingdom’s dragon slayer
- Stories are illegal because they summon dragons and can poison you
- a dragon that is basically a puppy
- every few chapters there’s a relavant story from the mythology, or a story from the MCs life
- TW: Violence, Death, Assault, War Themes, Murder, Slavery, Animal Death
Book 2: The Caged Queen
- deals with sisterhood, grief, & forgiveness
- political marriage between ex-friends
- Main character has the chance to save her sister’s soul, but she must kill her new husband and childhood friend, the king, to do so. Shouldn’t be too hard because it’s his fault her sister died.
- Hahaha nope its hard
- lots of political intrigue and betrayal here (less dragons)
- TW: Violence, Death, Assault, Rape Mention, Sexual Harassment, Animal Abuse, War Themes, Murder
Book 3: The Sky Weaver
- F/F Enemies-To-Lovers!!!!!
- Dual POV- a pirate/thief who can walk through worlds and a general who will do anything to catch her.
- Main character is the epitome of Chaotic Gay
- every few chapters theres more mythology, but this time it’s telling one story- of a god and a mortal and omg this story was almost as good as the main plot I swear
- a dragon with PTSD
- TW: Violence, Death, PTSD, Animal Abuse, Assault, Torture, Rape Mention, Racism, Kidnapping/Abduction
Slide 5: Rosemarked by Livia Blackburne
[ Rosemarked Review ]
[ Umbertouched Review ]
- characters are SO WELL DEVELOPED
- A healer gets the rose plague, and while she survived, she ends up rosemarked. Which means she will remain contagious for the rest of her life until the plague comes back and kills her. Sooo yeah no more healing for her
- A rebel warrior gets the rose plague, and survives, and ends up umbertouched (meaning he has plague markings but they’re faded and he isn’t contagious). Desperate to free his tribe from the Amparian Empire, he and the healer embark on a mission to infiltrate their military.
- self-induced amnesia
- more Dual POV
- More character focused plot (a little slower paced)
- slowburn romance (but so worth it trust me)
- deals a lot with politics and war
- Another duology!! Umbertouched is seriously one of the best sequels to a book I’ve read
- the sequel focuses a lot on PTSD
- TW: Violence, Death, Assault, War Themes, Illness, PTSD, Amnesia
Follow Me: [Bookstagram] [Twitter] [Tumblr] [Goodreads]
3 responses to “Underrated YA Fantasy Books Everyone Needs To Read (Recommendation Nation)”
Wonderful recommendation post! Would you mind if I included it in the Absinthe & Books’ weekly newsletter? (of course with all credit and links going to you)
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hi! I would love for it to be included!! Thank you!
LikeLiked by 1 person
[…] Related: Underrated YA Fantasy Books Everyone Needs to Read! (Slideshow) (Recommendation Nation) […]